Advancements in medical technology have increased the number of surgeries being performed, which in turn has created a demand for additional surgical technicians. If you’re looking for a fast-paced career in the ever-expanding medical industry, then becoming a certified surgical technologist may be the perfect career choice for you.
Swedish Institute paves the way to a new career
For over 100 years, Swedish Institute has earned its stellar reputation as a leading institution dedicated to natural healing, wellness and healthcare. The Swedish Institute Surgical Technologist program provides the knowledge you need to become part of a surgical team. Here are some of the benefits of pursuing a career as a certified surgical technologist:
- The 18-month program allows you to enter the workplace faster. (Note: This applies to full-time students.)
- Graduates earn an Associate degree in Occupational Studies (AOS) as authorized by the New York State Board of Regents.
- Exciting, fast-paced work environment.
- Rapidly growing industry means you can find work in other cities.
What to expect while working as a surgical technologist
Surgical technologists (also called scrub techs, surgical tech or operating room technicians), are part of a surgical team. These professionals assist in surgical operations and work alongside surgeons and registered nurses. They are key performers who prepare operating rooms for surgery by ensuring a sterile surgical environment, arranging equipment, preparing surgical instruments, and handing those instruments to surgeons during an operation. Here is a snapshot of what you can expect while working as a certified surgical technologist:
- Job security: According to the United States Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment of surgical technologists is projected to grow 15 percent from 2014-2024, which is much faster than the average for many other occupations.
- Competitive wages: As of May 2016, the median annual wage for surgical technologists was $45,160.
- Exciting medical environment: Surgical technologists work in hospital operating rooms or surgical centers.
- Full-time hours
- Fast-paced environment: You will be on your feet a lot of the time.
Ready for new career? Becoming a surgical technologist may be the answer you’ve been looking for. To learn more about Swedish Institute and its Surgical Technologist program, visit