Before You Apply for Federal Financial Aid

We recommend that you have your income information available before filling out the FAFSA.

Submit Your FAFSA

The first step in seeking federal financial aid is to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application form is used for federal and state grants, Federal Work Study program, and Direct Loans. This is a 2-Step Process:

  1. Create Your FSA ID: Your FSA ID is a unique personal identifier that gives you access to your personal information on U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID also serves as your electronic signature on federal applications so be sure to keep it confidential. If you don’t already have an FSA ID you must create one at Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID).
  2. Complete the FAFSA: The easiest way to complete or correct your FAFSA with accurate tax information is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.  In a few steps, most students and parents who filed a tax return can view and transfer their tax return information directly into their FAFSA. You will need the Swedish Institute Federal School Code – it is 016904.

Apply for TAP (New York State residents only)

New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is offered by The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). HESC is the State’s student financial aid agency, helping students pay for college.

New York State residents attending New York State schools can link to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page. To complete your online TAP application, you must first create a username and personal identification number (PIN).

What Happens After You Submit Your Application?

After you submit your FAFSA, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education via mail or email. The SAR contains the information that you submitted on the FAFSA. Review and submit any necessary corrections. Your SAR also contains information on what you are expected to contribute to your total college tuition costs. Our Financial Aid department can help if you have any questions.