How Becoming a Personal Trainer Can Shape Your Future
Today, personal trainers are at the top of their games when it comes to making a difference in the well-being of others. If you’re dedicated to living a healthy lifestyle and have a passion for motivating others to feel their best, then pursuing a career as a personal trainer may be the pathway you’ve been searching for. Read on to learn how becoming a personal trainer can launch your career in this exciting and growing industry.
What is a personal trainer?
A personal trainer is a certified professional with vast knowledge in the areas of general fitness, exercise prescription and instruction. They work one-on-one to train clients and help them achieve their goals and optimum well-being.
Here are some ways personal trainers help their clients reach their goals:
- Develop specific exercise programs that encompass the body and mind and instruct clients on proper execution
- Motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability
- Conduct fitness assessments to evaluate and measure client’s strengths and weaknesses
- Offer a nurturing experience through life coaching
Sound good so far? Check out who you will be working with.
Who can benefit from working with a personal trainer?
Not everyone who uses a personal trainer is a workout guru or spends hours in the gym. Here are some examples of people who can benefit from working with a personal trainer:
- Those seeking to reach personal fitness goals
- Those with controlled conditions and diseases including: high blood pressure, diabetes and heart conditions
- Those recovering from shoulder, knee and back surgeries, for example.
What makes a successful personal trainer?
As a personal trainer, your goal is to make your client feel confident, relaxed and motivated to achieve their goals. Here are some key traits that make a successful personal trainer:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to build loyalty and trustworthiness
- Excellent motivational skills to keep clients on track
- Passion for health, well-being and fitness
- Problem-solving skills to develop best exercise program for those with specific health-related conditions
- Ability to work with different personalities
Does this sound like you? You may be on your way to a new career. Check out where you may be working.
Where the jobs are
Personal trainers don’t just work in gyms. In fact, the need for personal trainers is expanding into settings beyond fitness facilities. Here are some places personal trainers are making a difference:
- Corporate management settings
- Sports centers
- Government agencies—tactical strategic conditioning for military, police officers and fire fighters
- Healthcare/retirement communities
- Plus, more!
For those with an entrepreneurial spirit, more personal trainers are starting their own private businesses, building a clientele and reputation along the way. Are you ready to be your own boss? It all starts with getting the education you need to succeed.
Swedish Institute has what you need to succeed
Swedish Institute offers two programs to get you the training you need to succeed in the field to become a personal trainer. Their Personal Training certificate program and Advanced Personal Training degree program are designed with you in mind. Each program encompasses a comprehensive curriculum to give you the training and knowledge you need and the skills to get there. In just a short time you could be working in the field and making a difference in the lives of others while setting the pace for a bright future.
Swedish Institute’s Take
Vincent Metzo, Dean of the Personal Training Programs at Swedish Institute weighs in on the lifelong benefits of becoming a personal trainer. With 25 years of experience in the industry, Metzo has combined his creative side with his skills, extensive work experience and vast knowledge in personal training to bring him where he is today. Along with teaching classes and holding an administrative position at Swedish Institute, Metzo is known nationally and world-wide as a personal training expert who is making a difference in the lives of people from all walks of life. “Personal training and the fitness industry have enabled me to continue to grow both personally and professionally over the past 25 years,” said Metzo. “We sell the best gift of all—improved quality of life.” For anyone searching for a new career as a personal trainer, Swedish Institute not only has the reputation of being a stellar institution, but it provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in the field by cultivating future leaders in the profession.”