Transfer Credit Policy
An applicant accepted into a Swedish Institute program may be eligible to transfer credits from an accredited post-secondary institution** or through CLEP examination. Requests for transfer credit should be submitted in advance of the start of class. A fee will be charged for transfer credit evaluation if the credit is accepted (see Tuition and Fees section). Transfer credit may be granted if the following criteria have been met:
- The course is comparable in length and content to a course offered at Swedish Institute.
- The course was passed with at least a “C” (2.0) grade as indicated on an official transcript. Transfer credit for bioscience (BIO) courses in the Nursing program (Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II and Microbiology, with corresponding labs) requires a minimum “B-” (2.67 or higher) grade.
- An official transcript has been received from the prior institution. Transfer credit will be granted only provisionally with an unofficial transcript.
Depending on the program, transfer credit may require further assessment, including a challenge exam, to ensure that knowledge and skills learned previously are adequate and current. This may occur, for example, if the course was taken over five years ago, or if the material covered is out-of-date. There is a fee for taking a challenge exam (see Tuition and Fees section).
- No transfer credit will be granted for clinical nursing (NUR) courses.
- CLEP examination may only be used to transfer general education credits. Bioscience courses in the Nursing or Massage Therapy programs may not be transferred in using CLEP.
** The accreditation agency must be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.