Certificate Program 32 semester credits
The Personal Training certificate program gives students the skills they need to enter the field of fitness training. The program is characterized by rigorous foundational study in anatomy, physiology, pathology, kinesiology and the biomechanics of exercise. From this foundation, students learn to assess the physical condition of a client, design a training program and evaluate progress. Students also learn to deal with special populations including the elderly and disabled. Students practice their skills in the college's own functional training facility as well as at two internship experiences. Courses in ethics and professionalism prepare students for their future careers.
Graduates are prepared for positions at gyms and health facilities, including hospitals, or may establish private practices.
Graduates are awarded a certificate as authorized by the New York State Board of Regents. Students completing this program are eligible to enroll in the Swedish Institute Advanced Personal Training degree program.
Personal Training Certification: The Personal Training certificate program coursework meets the standards for the knowledge, skills, and abilities set forth for several certifications offered by professional organizations.
- Apply knowledge of bioscience and personal training techniques to certification examinations and the entry-level practice of personal training in a variety of healthcare and wellness settings;
- Practice within legal, ethical and professional standards as defined by the governing bodies for professional practice;
- Assess clients holistically and develop appropriate evidence-based, client-centered training plans;
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with healthcare workers, athletic trainers, colleagues, clients and their families;
- Apply critical thinking and ethical reasoning skills in decision-making situations;
- Promote wellness practices and a healthy lifestyle for clients and engage in effective self-care to promote health and career longevity.
- Profession: Find out more about the profession of personal training from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (SOC code 39.9031.00).
- Skills: Find out more about the skills needed for a personal training career from the U.S. Department of Labor's O*net.
- Program Costs (if completed on time):
- Tuition: $14,880
- Fees: $756
- Books and supplies: Approximately $1,200
- Typical student loan debt of graduates: This is a new program and does not yet have graduates.
- On-time graduation rate: This is a new program and does not yet have graduates.
- Graduate employment rate: This is a new program and does not yet have graduates.